Sunday 6 September 2020

Girlfriends

Yesterday, the boss decided 
I wasn't efficient enough
to be paid during a pandemic.
The boyfriend felt
that the waterworks that followed
this terribly timed firing 
were hormone driven hysterics-
not to be encouraged,
not to be taken seriously.
The landlord threatened to evict
me unless I suddenly metamorphosed
into a married lady
(because what else would 
lable me settled enough
to be leasing myself a house?).
But the only real reason
I would call it a bad day
wasn't because I got fired,
or dumped,
or rendered homeless-
these are just adult problems
you can't really escape.
It was a bad day because
I finally hit rock bottom
but my girlfriends were too busy
quarantining
to come and laugh with me 
as the year billowed on by
and time's merciless attacks
left us confined 
to a two dimensional screen
while my life went up in
flames.



No comments:

Post a Comment