Wednesday 5 August 2020

Muse

I've seen her through the cracks
in the wall;
her smile is a bridge of ivory
and her hands are peacock feather fans-
gesticulating
and telling stories through 
movement and magic.
Casting spells and weaving dreams
for other eyes.
Her eyes are different.
Impermeable to influence,
unless we speak of falling rain
which draws wonder from them,
or a warm mug of tea
that softens their fire,
douses it with the promise
of more comfort and hugs.
I have seen how she smiles
and how she laughs-
Thunder and lightning-
twins borne from the same womb.
I have seen how her hair
cascades into a wavy brown waterfall
that crashes into the stony floor
that grounds her like an ancient tree.
Her silhouette is a shadow
that flirts with fate,
tempting it with curves and softness
that no one can touch.
I want to meet her,
but the wall stands between us.
I cannot hear her language
or sense her spirit's heat
or taste the salty lies she tells
her many suitors to shoo them away.
And I can only imagine
the fluidity of her heart
as she pours it, drop by drop,
into her lover's golden cup
as he drinks it, unassumingly,
and I stand watching in envy
those luckier lips 
and that elusive muse
only through the crack.

No comments:

Post a Comment