Monday 22 June 2020

All Poets Have A Font

I think all poets 
Have their own fonts;
At least in my head they do. 
The works of some poets are
In slanting, cursive, mysterious
Fonts
That dance on paper
Like russian ballerinas
That were always meant to be 
Famous.
Thin as a waif, lighter than a thought.
Some poets write in rotund, angry sploshes
That scream of rebellion
And uprisings.
Revolution comes through 
Their rhyme schemes,
With a defiant fist in the air.
Some poets make your heart flutter
With their pretty calligraphy.
A butterfly in mid-flight,
Unaccompanied by any dark clouds
That may rain on this parade.
Whatever you read
Will only evoke jealousy in your heart-
Ah, what I would give
To be able to write something so small
But so beauteous!

But I don't write like any of these.
My poetry feels like a collage
Of fifty-eight fonts.
They're each dancing 
To their own merry tunes.
I see big blocks of emotions
That I didn't know I'd stored within me,
And which need evaluation-
Do I need all this guilt?
Must I feel this insecurity?
Am I jinxing my own happiness?
This font isn't photogenic,
If you ask me,
But it gets the job done.
It flows obediently
From my heart to head to paper.
And the best thing is
That my font remains
Indelible.
It endures like a resilient firefly
And for that
I am proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment